Ikigai: Automatic Control ∩ Robotics ∩ Machine
Fund-my-research buzzwords: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Science.
Expert buzzwords: System Identification, Control Theory, Optimal State Estimation.
- Senior Researcher, Microsoft Research Lab (NYC), 2021 - Present.
- Adjunct Faculty, Brandeis University, Graduate School of Professional Studies, (2019 - 2021).
- Postdoctoral Researcher, The University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine (2019 - 2021).
- Postdoctoral Scholar, The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine (2019).
- Research Intern (Robot Learning), Preferred Networks, Tokyo, Japan (Ended 2018).
- Mechatronics Intern, Amazon Robotics (Advanced Robotics Lab), Greater Boston, MA (2016).
- Student, The University of Texas at Dallas, School of Engineering (2014 - 2019).
- Visiting Student, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Medical Physics and Engineering (2014 - 2019).
- Student, The University of Sheffield, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (Ended 2012/2013).
Select News Highlights
|New numerical analysis paper on hyperbolic Hamilton-Jacobi partial differential equations with tons of examples accelerated on modern graphical processing units.||April 10, 2022|
|New robust policy optimization paper, based on H-infinity control principles for accelerating the convergence of traditional policy optimization schemes in infinite-horizon control settings out in IFAC world congress 2023.||February 10, 2023|
- Member, IEEE Robotics and Automation Technical Committee on (i) Soft Robotics; (ii) Cognitive Robotics; (iii) Algorithms for Planning and Control; (iv) Automation in Health Care Management; (v) Aerial Robotics and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. 2023 - Present.
- Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) Workshops, 2022-2023.
- Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2020-2021.
- External Grants Reviewer, AI for Species Discovery, National Geographic Society, 2020 - 2021.
- Journal Reviewer: Automatica (IFAC – The International Federation of Automatic Control), IEEE Letters to Control Systems Society (L-CSS), IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (JBHI), Institute of Physics (IOP): The International Journal of Biomedical Physics and Engineering (PhysMed), IEEE Access, Neural Computing and Applications (NCAA).
- Conference Reviewer: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), IEEE/Robotics Society of Japan International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Dynamic Systems and Control Conference – The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (DSCC), American Control Conference (ACC), International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), IFAC – World Congress, Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS).
I enjoy working with/mentoring young students/scientists in teaching and research capacities alike. Before MSFT, I was an adjunct faculty at Brandeis up in Waltham, MA. Current or past students, interns and postdocs include:
- Leilei Cui (advised by Dr. Zhong-Ping Jiang). Microsoft Research Intern, 2022 → NYU Tandon School of Engineering PhD Student.
- Gilbert Bahati, Caltech Mechanical Engineering PhD Student (Advised by Dr. Aaron Ames).
- Shaoru Chen. Penn ESE, University of Pennsylvania → Microsoft Research Postdoc (2023-?).
- Harry Vuong. Brandeis University MS 2020/2021 → Robotic Systems Engineer, Universal Robots A/S.
- Harley Wiltzer, Microsoft Research Intern, 2023. McGill PhD Student advised by David Meger and Marc Bellemare.
- Thomas Zhang, Microsoft Research Intern, 2023. UPenn PhD Student advised by Nik Matni.
- Adwait Kulkarn, 2017-2018 Masters intern → (VP of Smart Trailer Engineering, Drov. Tech, MN).
- Rachel Thompson, 2017 Plano High School → University of Texas as Dallas → MIT CSAIL undergrad → Brown University PhD.
- Anurag Koul, Oregon State University, Microsoft Research Postdoc, 2022 - Present.
- Etiosa Omeike. Princeton ECE Junior → Microsoft Undergraduate Research Intern, 2023.
- Ajith Venkateswaran, 2016-2017 Masters Intern → Amazon Robotics LLC → University of Texas at Dallas → Senior Software Engineer, Johnson & Johnson.
- Blessing Kolawole, Undergrad Assistant. (CS PhD student, Tufts University).
Select Talks, Classes, and Conferences
- Learning without Rewards, Microsoft Research Summit, Fall 2021.
- Automating Treatment Planning in Radiation Therapy, Microsoft Research NYC, New York City, Winter 2021.
- Automating Treatment Planning in Radiation Therapy, Auris Health, Johnson & Johnson, San Francisco, CA, 2021.
- Soft Robots-based Position Correction Mechanisms in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. Open Robotics Foundation, Mountain View, CA, USA, 2019.
- Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Energy Resources Engineering. Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, 2018.
- Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA, 2018.
- Minimax Iterative Dynamic Game, Department of Brain Robot Interface. Computational Neuroscience Labs, ATR, Osaka, Japan, 2018.
- Soft Robotic Modules as Position Correcting Mechanisms in Cancer RT, 3rd Entrepreneurship Forum & Start-up Competition, EFSC’17, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2017.
Classes and Useful Presentations
- A Short Treatise on the Kinematics and Kinetics of Robots – Slides, MSR NYC, 2022.
- The Mathematical Foundations of Robotics, Brandeis University, 2021.
- Robot Manipulation, Planning and Control, Brandeis University, 2020.
- L1 Adaptive Control – Courtesy of Naira Hovakimyan. 10/1/2015
- IEEE, Member.
- IEEE RAS, Robotics and Automation Society, Member.
- IEEE CSS, Control Systems Society, Member.
AAPM: The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, Junior Member. ASTRO, The American Society for Radiation Oncology, Member. NYAS, The New York Academy of Sciences, Member.
Strava Activities Summary
As often as I can get away from the lab, I like to ride my (road/mountain/Grandma's) bike. I ride rain or shine, hell or highwater -- in the parching heats of sultry Texas, or the blustering cold winds of the Midwest and the Eastern Seaboard (Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey Rider here). If you are in my area and would love to tag along on a ride, do not hesitate to shoot me an email. Below is a screenshot of my recent activities summary.
- The Prison Letters of Nelson Mandela – Edited by Sham Venter.
- Mandela, The Authorized Biography – Anthony Sampson.
- Knowing Mandela – John Carlin.
- Democracy in America – Alexis De Toqueville.
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway.
- John Adams – David McCullough.
- The Preacher and The Presidents,Billy Graham in the White House - Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy.
Managing Up – Rosanne Badowski. Eye of the Hurricane: An Autobiography – Richard Bellman. Advice for a Young Investigator – Santiago Ramon y Cajal. Richard Feynmann: A Life in Science – John and Mary Gribblin. Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die – Chip Heath and Dan Heath. Profiles in Courage – John Fitzgerald Kennedy.
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln – Doris Kearns Goodwin.
- 1776 – David McCullough.
- Henry Ford – Vincent Curcio.
- Michael Jordan: The Life – Roland Lazenby.
- Eisenhower: A Life in War and Peace – Jean Edward Smith.
- Idea Man – Paul Allen.
- D-Day: Minute by Minute – Jonathan Mayo.
Founding Fathers – Gordon Leidner.
This web presence was last updated on Tue, Oct 03, 2023.