- Core: Control Theory. Robotics. Soft Matter. Elastic Deformations.
Current/Past University Affiliations
- Postdoctoral Researcher, The University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine (2019 - Present).
- Postdoctoral Scholar, The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine (2019 - Present).
- Adjunct Instructor, Brandeis University, Graduate School of Professional Studies, Robot Manipulation, Motion Planning and Control, (2019 - Present).
- Student, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Medical Physics and Engineering (Ended 2019).
- Student, The University of Texas at Dallas, School of Engineering (Ended 2019).
- Student, The University of Sheffield, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (Ended 2012/2013).
Previous Company Affiliations
- Amazon Robotics (Advanced Robotics Lab), Greater Boston Area, MA (Ended 2016).
- Preferred Networks, Tokyo, Japan (Ended 2018).
- Coca-Cola, Lagos/Athens (Ended 2011).
Select News Highlights
|I am teaching a robot manipulation course at Brandeis in the winter and spring of 2020 as an Adjunct Faculty. Basically, I will be synthesizing robot statics and kinematics, robot dynamics and control, along with deep reinforcement learning for trajectory optimization. I will strive to have all lecture notes and software available on the RBOT250 website to the extent that my employer allows.||November 7, 2019|
|I have successfully defended my PhD Thesis. Thanks to the mentors I worked with during my graduate program, viz., Steve B. Jiang, and Nick Gans, and my dissertation committee members: Mark Spong, T. Summers, Y. Tadesse and D. Bhatia.||May 16, 2019|
|I will be pitching my start-up idea to VCs in Vancouver in October. Yeah, sure. Come in and argue!||August 1, 2017|
Soft Robots-based Position Correction Mechanisms in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. Open Robotics Foundation, Mountain View, CA, USA. January 2019.
Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Energy Resources Engineering. Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA. November 2018.
Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA. November 2018.
Minimax Iterative Dynamic Game, Department of Brain Robot Interface. Computational Neuroscience Labs, ATR, Osaka, Japan. August 2018.
Neural Networks and Adaptive Control, Preferred Networks Tech. Talk, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo. Japan. August 2018.
SoftNeuroAdapt: A 3-DoF Neuro-Adaptive Healthcare System. Google Robotics, Mountain View, CA. USA. September 2017. [Work presented by Nick Gans].
A Wearable Soft Robot Modular System for Head and Neck Motion Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. University of Texas at Arlington Research Institute, Fort Worth, Texas, USA. May 2019.
Peer Research Reviewing Activities
- Automatica, A Journal of IFAC, The International Federation of Automatic Control.
- JBHI, An IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Access, An IEEE Journal.
- NCAA, Neural Computing and Applications. A Springer Journal.
- World Congress, The IFAC, The International Federation of Automatic Control.
- ICRA, An IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- CDC, An IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control.
- IROS, An IEEE/Robotics Society of Japan International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems.
- DSCC, Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Conference.
- ACC, An IEEE Control Systems Society/American Control Conference.
- ICML, International Conference on Machine Learning
- External Grants Reviewer, National Geographic Society.
Recent Blog Posts
|Research, Peer Review, Writing Papers.||March 10, 2019|
|Optimality vs. Stability of Feedback Control Systems.||August 22, 2018|
|Control Commons||August 4, 2018|
- screw theory and elastic deformations: screws (in mathematica and matlab) applied to continuum dynamics, codes and examples.
- gps: a re-implementation of Levine et al’s guided policy search algorithm in ros indigo.
- ensenso: ros and point cloud library bridges to the ensenso 3D N35 camera factory api.
- awesome screw theory: a curated list of papers that apply screw theory for soft and rigid robots control.
- awesome neuro-control: a curated list of papers that apply neural dynamics to control systems.
- bourne again shells: short & fun bash scripts.
- savgol: a c++11 implementation of the vandermonde matrix as well as savityzky-golay differentiation filter and smoothing coefficients.
- keyence: basic api in c and c++ for streaming sensed data from the keyence LJV-7300 line scanner.
- the chemistry of robotics: ideas and tips for cooking things up out of various chemical compounds in order to create useful elastomers for your soft robot components.
- data structure commons: a collection of solutions to interesting software engineering questions. source code.
- gocator: ros and point cloud library bridges to the LMI gocator line scanning sensor.
- reading list: a collection of papers I am currently reading/implementing.
- radiation therapy dose influence matrices : extracting fluence based on the varian medical systems c#/python api from eclipse. core api courtesy of mike folkerts over at UCSD/UTSW/Varian.
- summer’18 reading list: Bellman and Optimal Control.
Strava Activities Summary
Regular mortal on two wheels hoping to someday be a world champ here. As often as I can get away from the lab, I like to pedal the metals of my bike, often logging approximately 120 miles a week during cycling season (riding rain or shine, hell or highwater during the cycling season). I ride in the parching heats of sultry Texas, the blustering cold winds of the Midwest and the Eastern Seaboard. In the winter, I get sloppy with my usual ride schedule and pile on more fat :-). States where I have ridden so far include Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. Below is a screenshot of my recent activities summary. Feel free to follow me on Strava as I pursue life, liberty and the trails!
Last updated on 2019-09-07