Ikigai: Control Theory ∩ Robotics ∩ Machine
LEarning (Not in that order).
Fund-my-research buzzwords: Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Data Science.
Antiquated buzzwords: System Identification, Data Mining.
Current/Past University Affiliations
- Postdoctoral Researcher, The University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine (2019 - Present).
- Postdoctoral Scholar, The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine (2019 - Present).
- Adjunct Instructor, Brandeis University, Graduate School of Professional Studies, Robot Manipulation, Motion Planning and Control, (2019 - Present).
- Student, The University of Texas at Dallas, School of Engineering (Ended 2019).
- Visiting Student, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Medical Physics and Engineering (Ended 2019).
- Student, The University of Sheffield, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (Ended 2012/2013).
Previous Company Affiliations
- Amazon Robotics (Advanced Robotics Lab), Greater Boston Area, MA (Ended 2016).
- Preferred Networks, Tokyo, Japan (Ended 2018).
- Coca-Cola, Lagos/Athens (Ended 2011).
- NYAS, The New York Academy of Sciences, Member
- IEEE RAS, Robotics and Automation Society, Member
- AAPM: The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, Junior Member
- ASTRO, The American Society for Radiation Oncology, Member
Select Invited Talks
Soft Robots-based Position Correction Mechanisms in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. Open Robotics Foundation, Mountain View, CA, USA. January 2019.
Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Energy Resources Engineering. Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA. November 2018.
Robotic Radiotherapy: Automating Position Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy, Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA. November 2018.
Minimax Iterative Dynamic Game, Department of Brain Robot Interface. Computational Neuroscience Labs, ATR, Osaka, Japan. August 2018.
Neural Networks and Adaptive Control, Preferred Networks Tech. Talk, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo. Japan. August 2018.
SoftNeuroAdapt: A 3-DoF Neuro-Adaptive Healthcare System. Google Robotics, Mountain View, CA. USA. September 2017. [Work presented by Nick Gans].
A Wearable Soft Robot Modular System for Head and Neck Motion Correction in Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. University of Texas at Arlington Research Institute, Fort Worth, Texas, USA. May 2019.
Select News Highlights
|Our new soft robot mechanism for motion correction in emerging MRI-LINAC RT systems got accepted for a presentation at the joint John R. Cameron-J.R. Cunningham Young Investigators' Symposium! Please e-attend my talk if you can at AAPM's annual meeting this year.||May 16, 2020|
|I am teaching a robot manipulation course at Brandeis in the winter and spring of 2020 as an Adjunct Faculty. I am keeping the lecture notes here as I develop them and the course progreses.||November 7, 2019|
|I will be pitching my start-up idea to VCs in Vancouver in October. Yeah, sure. Come in and argue!||August 1, 2017|
Peer Review Service
- Automatica, A Journal of IFAC, The International Federation of Automatic Control.
- World Congress, The IFAC, The International Federation of Automatic Control.
- ICRA, An IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation.
- CDC, An IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control.
- IROS, An IEEE/Robotics Society of Japan International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems.
- DSCC, Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- ACC, An IEEE Control Systems Society/American Control Conference.
- JBHI, An IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Access, An IEEE Journal.
- NCAA, Neural Computing and Applications, A Springer Journal.
- ICML, International Conference on Machine Learning
- External Grants Reviewer, National Geographic Society.
Recent Blog Posts
|Research, Peer Review, Writing Papers.||March 10, 2019|
|Optimality vs. Stability of Feedback Control Systems.||August 22, 2018|
|Control Commons||August 4, 2018|
- screw theory and elastic deformations: screws (in mathematica and matlab) applied to continuum dynamics, codes and examples.
- gps: a re-implementation of Levine et al’s guided policy search algorithm in ros indigo.
- ensenso: ros and point cloud library bridges to the ensenso 3D N35 camera factory api.
- awesome screw theory: a curated list of papers that apply screw theory for soft and rigid robots control.
- awesome neuro-control: a curated list of papers that apply neural dynamics to control systems.
- bourne again shells: short & fun bash scripts.
- savgol: a c++11 implementation of the vandermonde matrix as well as savityzky-golay differentiation filter and smoothing coefficients.
- keyence: basic api in c and c++ for streaming sensed data from the keyence LJV-7300 line scanner.
- the chemistry of robotics: ideas and tips for cooking things up out of various chemical compounds in order to create useful elastomers for your soft robot components.
- gocator: ros and point cloud library bridges to the LMI gocator line scanning sensor.
- reading list: a collection of papers I am currently reading/implementing.
- radiation therapy dose influence matrices : extracting fluence based on the varian medical systems c#/python api from eclipse. core api courtesy of mike folkerts over at UCSD/UTSW/Varian.
- summer’18 reading list: Bellman and Optimal Control.
Strava Activities Summary
Regular mortal on two wheels here. As often as I can get away from the lab, I like to pedal the metals of my bike, often logging approximately 120 miles a week -- during cycling season. I ride rain or shine, hell or highwater -- in the parching heats of sultry Texas, or the blustering cold winds of the Midwest and the Eastern Seaboard. If you are in my area and would love to tag along on a ride, do not hesitate to shoot me an email. States where I have ridden so far include Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. Below is a screenshot of my recent activities summary.
Last updated on 2020-01-24